Okay, we’ve all seen these before. Simply reblog and replace my answers with your own. We all get to talk about Tolkien (which is awesome), and we all get to learn a bit about each other (which is awesome.)
- First Tolkien Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
- Age at First Reading: 12
- Who/What Introduced You?: 1) A friend showed me a bookmark of Legolas, and I thought he was the hottest person ever. 2) Later that week, I slept over at a friend’s house while her brother and father were watching FOTR. We couldn’t sleep because of the noises from one of the fight scenes (Moria), so I said to her, “Hey, you know, that’s the movie with the hot blonde guy in it. We should watch.” So we watched… and while I can’t say that I had any idea which Hobbit was which, or indeed that Aragorn and Boromir were two separate people, I went out and bought the DVD the very next day. The rest, as they say, is history.
- First Favorite Character: Legolas, clearly.
- Currently Reading (By Tolkien): A Spanish translation of The Fellowship of the Ring.
- Fan of the Movies?: YES. In some ways, I actually think they’re better than the books.
- Plan to Read Next: A Spanish translation of The Two Towers, and possibly those letters of J.R.R. Tolkien that I keep hearing so much about.
- Story: Oh boy. The Silmarillion has some pretty good stories, but I might have to go with The Unfinished Tales.
- Race/Culture: Overall, I think the Elves have a pretty sweet deal going for them, but I absolutely love everything about Rohan.
- Male Character: There’s no way I can name one, so I’ll go with: Legolas, Thranduil, Eomer, Theodred, Boromir, Feanor, and Beleg Cuthalion. [Some of these choices have been influenced by the movies and fanon.]
- Female Character: Eowyn, Lothiriel, Haleth, Tar-Miriel, Queen Beruthiel (lol), and Tauriel. [Some of these choices have been influenced by the movies and fanon.]
- Romantic Relationship: Does Aragorn/Legolas count? Hm, I guess I can’t say I’ve found any of the canonical romances to be terribly compelling. I prefer fanfiction, generally in the form of Rohancest (Eowyn/Eomer/Theodred or any combination thereof), which probably says terrible things about me but oh well. Also, Boromir/Theodred.
- Friendship: Maedhros and Fingon, Aragorn and Legolas, Turin and Beleg (welp, we all know how that turned out).
- Location: ROHAN <3 The Shire seems pretty awesome, too.
- Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad for all the feels, but the movie version of Helm’s Deep > anything.
- Song: The “Where is the horse and the rider?” poem from Rohan.
- Of the Trilogy: Books - The Fellowship of the Ring; Movies - The Two Towers.
- Member of the Fellowship: Legolas. Aragorn and Boromir are close seconds.
- Villain: I’m not sure Feanor and his sons count as villains, but they are responsible for a lot of terrible things that happen to the other characters, so I’ll go with them.
- Elf: See above.
- Dwarf: I don’t really have one, to be honest. Movie!Thorin has that nice smoldering angst thing going on, though.
- Man/Woman: See above.
- Hobbit: Sam.
- Valar/Maiar: Tulkas.
- Other: Movie!Gollum/Smeagol.
BOLD WHAT YOU’VE READ
The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, The Histories of Middle Earth (volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), The Book of Lost Tales, Leaf by Niggle, Farmer Giles of Ham, On Fairy Stories, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, The Atlas of Middle Earth